Registrar of Real Properties
The Registrar of Real Properties (RORP) is responsible for approving and registering all types of transactions related to Real Property in accordance with the DIFC Laws and Regulations.
The Registrar of Real Properties administers the laws, regulations and procedures designed to ensure the protection of the rights of buyers, sellers and leaseholders of all property in the financial district. In addition, the registrar implements the DIFC Real Property Law and the DIFC Strata Title Law and registers all land and units within the DIFC in the DIFC Register of Real Property.
Registrar of Real Properties related services can only be accessed through the DIFC Client Portal.
Lease/Sub-lease Registration is required for real properties that are leased Within the DIFC. Lease Registration is mandatory for all commercial/retail units regardless of the terms of the lease, however, it is only mandatory if the lease term is above 1 year (including the option to renew) for residential units. The lease must be registered within 28 days from the date of signing the lease agreement. Failure to register the lease within the agreed time frame will result in a penalty of USD 1,000.
Lease registration of properties within the DIFC must be submitted through the DIFC Client Portal. Before filling the form, please note the below conditions:
- Commercial units such as offices and retail shops can only be leased by Companies or Partnerships registered in the DIFC or are under formation at the time of Lease Registration.
- Companies leasing residential units will be asked to provide occupant details.
- A lease must be registered within 28 days of the date of entering into the Lease Agreement and a penalty of USD 1,000 applies in case of failure to register within 28 days. Please refer to DIFC Real Property Laws and Regulations for further details.
- All documents uploaded to the DIFC Client Portal must be clearly legible. Failure to submit clear scanned copies will result in the request being rejected
- For the full list of documents required to be uploaded to the DIFC Client Portal, please see the Registrar of Real Properties Client Handbook.
- Payments required - AED 367.50
This section sets out the requirements for the registration of property located within the DIFC. Transfer of Freehold Transaction must be registered with the Registrar of Real Properties within 30 days of entering into the transaction. Failure to register within 30 days will result in fines as prescribed in the DIFC Real Property Laws and Regulations
If you wish to have further assurance on the status of the property that you are intending to acquire, you can apply for an official search request to identify the status of the unit/plot that you are acquiring. The search request procedure is available on the Registrar of Real Properties Client Handbook under the “Official Search” Section.
Freehold Transfer Submission
Before filling the form please note the below:
- The service request submitted on the DIFC Client Portal is for the initial review and booking the appointment to finalize the transaction, The Freehold Transfer registration or recording will be completed upon submission of the Freehold Transfer Fee, all the remaining fees and original documents.
- All original forms and documents should be provided by the appointment date and time.
- Transfer of Freehold must be registered / recorded along with the payment of the Freehold Transfer Fee within 30 days from the date of entering into the Freehold Agreement. Failure to comply with the deadline will result in a penalty of USD 1,000 and an interest as per DIFC Real Property Laws and Regulations.
- If the transfer is happening on a mortgaged unit, then the discharge of mortgage can be done before or along with the submission of the service request to register/record the Freehold Transfer.
- All the documents uploaded to the DIFC Client Portal must be clearly legible and high resolution. Failure to submit clear scanned copies will result in rejecting the request.
- Visit the DIFC Client Portal, go to the Property Services section and fill in the required fields on the service request then click ‘Save’
- The system will direct you to the next page. Review the details entered then add the tenant details and the landlord details. Please ensure all the information provided is accurate.
- Once the seller and buyer details are entered, navigate to ‘Download/Upload Doc’ to upload the required documents.
- Click on ‘Submit’. A pop up message will appear informing the user that freehold registration forms have been generated.
- Navigate to ‘Download/Upload Doc’ again and print the generated documents (please refer to the documents with the status ‘Generated’)
- Obtain the required signature on the forms and upload a scanned copy of all the signed documents to the portal.
- Click on ‘Save” & ‘Submit”
- Upon receipt of the service request, the registry services team will review the request and confirm the appointment date and time. In case of any pending requirements or information, the service request will be returned for more information or for re-upload. An email notification and SMS will be sent accordingly. If you wish to have more information on the return process then please check the video guide for ‘Closing pending actions on the DIFC Client Portal’
- For the full list of documents to be uploaded during the appointment for Freehold Transfer please see the Registrar of Real Properties Client Handbook