HE Dr. Omar Bin Sulaiman to Open DIFC WeekPress Release 20 Nov 2008 06:29 pm
HE Dr. Omar Bin Sulaiman, Governor of the Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC) and Vice Chairman of the UAE Central Bank will open DIFC Week, DIFC’s prestigious annual programme of conferences featuring some of the world’s foremost financial and economic leaders, on 23 November, 2008.
Under the theme Sustaining our Oasis of Prosperity in a Turbulent World, DIFC Week 2008, is devoted to discussing regional growth prospects in the light of current global developments.
H.E. Dr. Omar Bin Sulaiman said: “DIFC Week provides a platform for thought leaders from the region and across the world to engage in a discussion on the critical issues determining our region’s future. As developed markets go through a period of financial stress, DIFC Week gives us a chance to discuss strategies for sustaining regional growth. It also gives us a platform for sharing insights and ideas on how we can convert the challenges that the crisis brings into opportunities.”
Apart from HE Dr. Omar Bin Sulaiman, those due to speak at DIFC Week include:
- Dr. Josef Ackermann, Chairman of the Management Board and the Group Executive Committee, Deutsche Bank AG
- H.E. Mohamed Alabbar, Member, Dubai Executive Council and Chairman, Emaar Properties
- HRH Prince Mohammed K A Al Faisal, President and CEO of the Al Faisaliah Group Holding
- Nasser Al Sheikh, Director-General of the Dubai Department of Finance
- Sheikha Hanadi Nasser bin Khaled al-Thani, Deputy Chief Executive Officer of Nasser bin Khaled & Sons and founder of AMWAL
- HRH Nazrin Shah, Crown Prince of Perak State Malaysia;
- Sameer Al Ansari, Executive Chairman and Chief Executive of Dubai International Capital LLC
- Peter Oppenheimer, Partner and Global Strategist at Goldman Sachs
- Professor K.C. Chan, Hong Kong Secretary for Financial Services and the Treasury
- Raja Sidawi, Chairman, Energy Intelligence
- Dr. Kevin W. Lu, Director and Chief Financial Officer, Multilateral Investment Agency, The World Bank Group
- Maria Bartiromo, Anchor, CNBC
DIFC Week opens on 23 November, 2008 with a one-day Summit on family businesses. Key decision makers from leading regional and global family businesses will gather to discuss the issues currently on their minds. What strategies are critical for growth and prosperity during the current economic downturn? What are the internal and external challenges facing family businesses now?
Also part of DIFC Week is the DIFC Forum, to be held from 24 to 25 November. H.E. Mohamed Alabbar will kick off the Forum in his first major public address as the head of the high-level committee set up to help manage the impact of the global financial turmoil on Dubai. In addition, highly interactive sessions will look at critical issues like the economic outlook for the world and the GCC region, the next generation of Islamic Finance, emerging markets in and after the financial crisis, and energy geopolitics in an era of structural change. One of the highlights of the Forum is a session titled “Get the Confidence Back’ moderated by Maria Bartiromo, Anchor, CNBC.
Immediately following the Forum, DIFC Week will feature a conference on 26 November titled: ‘The Inside Track on Dubai’. A series of workshops at the conference will discuss the practicalities of establishing operations in Dubai covering legal and regulatory issues, raising capital and understanding the cultural aspects of living and working in the Emirate.
Participation in the Summit is by invitation only to ensure a high-quality environment for business networking. Professional moderators and interactive sessions are expected to facilitate highly productive discussions and debates.